ASTRA has ionospheric modeling, simulation, and planning tools (eg. OSSEs) to optimize the procurement and deployment of ground-based and satellite-based observing systems.
ASTRA is the prime contractor for several related development efforts for ionosphere-thermosphere modeling and simulation that utilize both first-principles and assimilative models to predict the impact on communications, navigation, and surveillance systems.
- Ability to perform Analysis of Alternatives (AoA) assessments of the impact of existing and planned sensors, or sensor systems, for ionospheric specification.
- Assists procurement decisions by preventing unnecessary or redundant sensor deployment with low return on investment, potentially saving millions of dollars
- Develop predictive capability that maximizes the utility of new sensors and ionospheric measurement systems, and anticipates impacts of loss or obsolescence of assets.
- Realtime ionospheric predictions provide an alternative solution for raytracing applications and simulation of TID effects for geolocation.
- Realtime thermospheric neutral density predictions enable accurate satellite orbit prediction and analysis.